phpMyAdmin logo Français : Logo de phpMyAdmin (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
It’s been a very very (yes a lot) long time since I pinch in something on my blog, I will definitely try to keep up here after.
Okay, to the problem really quick, I got the following error from PHPMyAdmin – a weird one.
Class ‘PMA_Message‘ not found in /usr/share/phpmyadmin/libraries/Message.class.php on line 732
It was driving me crazy WHY? because I never thought I will get a problem to fix something with PHPMyAdmin, after a search I got a hint to fix the above problem. This solution was not helpful since my permission to session folder was OKAY, it is accessible/writable by Apache, this is crazy (challenging).
After hitting my head with questions around sessions, I got a weird idea to see if the space is available for PHP to create sessions – gotcha, that is where my problem was. I cleaned up some unnecessary items and all went well.
Wanted to post this little information for those who are going mad like how I was.
Note: Sorry if I bore some of the users who always see a PROBLEM/PROBLEM & PROBLEM in my blog, I will try to write something different ie., other than technology.
Today one of our production machine (in Amazon EC2) was down and I couldn’t bring-up the instance due to unavailability of SSH in PORT 22, connection was refused and I had no clue what to do, after sometime I was able to bring-up the instance – (ok short and sweet).
Though I got it working after some work-around, I wanted to make sure what I did was correct, hence I asked experts in stackoverflow.com – got good advice/suggestion and I hope all set for a fix. BTW, the answer on the question also helped in learning a new stuff called auditd on the disk – a must have tool for system admin.
Okay, the reason why I wanted to pin-down this blog is to show what I did to fix /dev/urandom and how did I get the server up and running. Let me go straight to there.
This is a quick tip that helped me save a lot of time – this is the reason why I love LINUX because of it’s simplicity.
I was working on a legacy code (referred as old-age code – a simple procedural coding style) for a client. In general, coding standard suggests you to have spaces instead of tabs to make it look better in all kinds of IDE, we (generally every developer) uses tab key a lot (to make our life easier) thinking it gives us the space but it inserts an actual tab (which usually jobs off from one end to the other). This legacy code was filled with tabs which looked pretty ugly in our code-review tool, though it looks perfect in the IDE, when you try to open it in Linux the favorite VI editor it looks ugly YUCK it is.
HUH, initially when my folks reported me I was like yeah go ahead and change it – what’s a big deal. But then when I came to know it not just one file but a lot (yes a lot) – it was almost more than 100 files, which had tabs instead of spaces (not GOOD – yeah I know).
Image by trodrigues via Flickr
Few days (a month) back I had faced a strange (amateur) problem in Linux with Amazon EBS volume. For some reason I had to increase the volume size say double the size of current volume attached to an instance.
As a normal (not an “advance” user of Linux) I did the following steps:
- Dismounted the device (EBS Volume) by “umount /dev/sdf“.
- Logged into AWS console and detached the attached volume from the instance.
- Took a snapshot of that EBS volume.
- Created another volume from above created snapshot with double the size of the current volume.
- Attached the above newly created volume back to the instance.
- SSH to the instance and mounted the volume (a handy – “mount /dev/sdf/mnt/ebs“).
- Just curious (being a naive Linuxian), I tried to see the size of the volume by running “df -h”.
- It shows the size of the volume as the old one.
- I confirmed it in the AWS console the size of the new EBS volume is double the size of the original.
- What the HECK is happening???
Image via Wikipedia
I have always had a good experience with Imagemagick in my career. Read this post – you will know HOW.
I can understand since it was CentOS, but with Debian I thought it might come handy if you choose to install Imagemagick from source. NAH! – never think like that. For one of our project, my colleague requested me to upgrade this package I thought it will be good and easy, just shoot the command “apt-get install imagemagick” phew – I got no updates.
Debian Lenny has a latest stable release of Imagemagick 6.6.0 and the current version is 6.6.9, AAH!.
It is been a long time since I wanted to write a power-point presentation on something, Yes I said that correct, SOMETHING :-).
Today, finally I wrote that SOMETHING on Project Management, I have tried to capture all possible [OPENSOURCE] tools that helps in project management on a day to day basis.
Though I am pure/pakka technical guy, I may have missed or overseen SOMETHING.
Let me know if you have any other better tools that I may have missed or anything that you think I am doing wrong or have not captured it.